In less than one week since the inauguration, Trump has taken action to repeal the Affordable Care Act, defund Planned Parenthood and sanctuary cities, build a wall along the US-Mexico border, and approve the controversial Dakota Access and Keystone Pipelines. In the wake of one of the largest protests in recent history, Trump’s decisions serve as a complete slap in the face to the millions who protested over the weekend, and further proves that he is not a man who stands up for the people. Directly or indirectly fighting against such impending tyranny is exhausting. Maybe you live in a household or attend a school filled with Trump supporters. Maybe you demonstrated this weekend. Or maybe you just feel the weight of injustice on your shoulders because you are fully aware of what’s going on in the world. My friends, wherever you find yourselves, know that this fight, this revolution, this stand is only the beginning. It will be long and it will be dirty, so please take care of yourselves. Here are a few tips:
- Unplug from social media. This place can be a vortex of negative energy as much as it can be a source of community connection.
- Drink plenty of water. Here are some fruit-infusion recipes and water bottles worth exploring.
- For those who can get to a body of water, go.
- For those who can, engage your body in physical activity…run, walk, dance, stretch. If you cannot, get to a quiet space, play music, meditate, sit.
- Call someone who lets you be your whole self…talk or share silence.
- Eat fresh food. Stress is worse on an empty stomach. Here are a few of my favorite quick and easy healthy dishes.
- Find a community working on creating justice through protest or one working with those who need support. Finding a larger purpose diminishes feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, which we may be feeling right now.
- Sing for ten minutes each day or have a dance party with friends or by yourself.
- Practice mindful breathing techniques. I shared a few great apps for that a few months ago. Check them out here.
- Get some shut eye!
1 thought on “Wellness Wednesday: Self-Care for Activists”